Prior to completing the online application process, applicants should gather all information
and materials required. These include:
- The names and e-mail addresses of two faculty members or instructors who have agreed
to submit reference forms on the applicant’s behalf. Ideally, these should be instructors
from English courses that the applicant has taken at the University of Utah. Recommenders
will be notified to submit their recommendations after the application is submitted.
- Your overall cumulative g.p.a. as well as your g.p.a in all English (ENGL) courses.
For assistance in calculating your English g.p.a., see: advising.utah.edu/academic-standards/gpa-calculator-new
- A written statement that describes the applicant’s academic interests and achievements,
career plans, and financial needs in completing his/her course of studies (no more
than 7,000 characters including spaces—roughly 2 pages).
- A critical writing sample of no more than 20,000 characters including spaces—roughly
5 pages. Most applicants use a polished essay that they have already written for
one of their English courses.
- Optional: A creative writing sample (prose or poetry), also no longer than 20,000
characters including spaces, may be included in addition to the critical writing sample.
Once all materials have been gathered, students may apply via the University of Utah’s Scholarship Management Site. For instructions on how to use the application site, click here.
Note: Once the “General Application” is completed, searching for “Department of English
Undergraduate Scholarships” will lead you to the English-specific application questions.
Applicants will be notified of results in April.